In the fashion industry, it's important to represent and celebrate diversity. Unfortunately, underrepresented groups often get overlooked in the industry. As a fashion photographer, it's your responsibility to actively seek out and incorporate underrepresented groups in your work. Here are five ways to incorporate underrepresented groups in your fashion photography:
- Cast a diverse range of models: When casting models for your shoots, make sure to include a diverse range of people from different ethnicities, genders, ages, and body types. This will help you to showcase a more inclusive vision of fashion.
- Collaborate with underrepresented creatives: It's important to work with a diverse range of creatives in the fashion industry. Collaborate with hair and makeup artists, stylists, and art directors from underrepresented communities to ensure that everyone is given equal opportunity.
- Choose diverse locations: Consider shooting in locations that showcase a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds. This will help you to create images that reflect the richness and diversity of the world we live in.
- Highlight unique and personal stories: Underrepresented groups have unique and important stories to tell. Highlight the stories of your models in your photography, showcasing their unique perspectives and experiences.
- Incorporate inclusive styling: Make sure that your styling choices reflect inclusivity. Avoid using stereotypes or generalizations when it comes to styling your models and instead, approach each model as an individual with unique qualities and strengths.
It's important to incorporate underrepresented groups in your fashion photography. By casting a diverse range of models, collaborating with underrepresented creatives, choosing diverse locations, highlighting personal stories, and incorporating inclusive styling, you can create images that celebrate and represent the true diversity of the fashion industry.
Hannah Lunn Photography
I believe in capturing the beauty of all individuals.. As a photographer with over a decade of experience, I specialise in editorial style photography with an edgy fashion twist.
I want to work with diverse of models from all walks of life and create stunning, impactful images. Contact me today to discuss your next project and let's celebrate diversity through beautiful photography.